January 30, 2024
Making the Leap to Management
Making the leap from individual contributor to manager can be one of the most significant–and challenging–steps in a career.
It’s so challenging, in fact, that it will take Daniel and Peter two episodes to talk about it.
In part one, Daniel and Peter share some recent insights and reminisce about their grad school experiences before talking about the skillsets new managers need.
Tune in to learn:
- The biggest myth about leadership
- The one piece of advice every new manager needs
- The two pieces of advice for leaders who are leading new managers
Be sure to tune in for Episode 4, where Daniel and Peter share the rest of the skillsets every new manager needs.
In this Episode:
1:30 – Insight of the Week
8:17 – Memory Lane: Practical Lessons From Grad School
14:45 – Topic: First Time Managers (Part 1)
31:01 – Lightning Round
Stewart Leadership Insights:
- 7 Mindset Shifts That Will Make You a Great Manager
- Develop Your Managers by Focusing on These 8 Skillsets
- 7 Ways to Become a People-First Manager
- 6 Ways to Become Aware of Your Leadership Blind Spots
- The Value of an Iterative Process
- Ask a Coach: How can I avoid being a micromanager?
- Manager Development Programs
“The ROI of Executive Coaching: A Comprehensive Guide,” Forbes.com
What is a Minimum Viable Product (MVP)? Agile Alliance
If you liked this episode, please share it with a friend or colleague, or, better yet, leave a review to help other listeners find our show, and remember to subscribe so you never miss an episode.
Keep Growing with our Newsletter
Enter your contact details to receive our weekly newsletter, with our latest episodes and thought leadership.