Identify unique characteristics and traits to find the right talent to scale for future growth.
Stewart Leadership’s Competency Modeling Framework is designed to help align recruiting, onboarding, development, and succession planning to optimize for future business success.
Stewart Leadership’s Competency Modeling Framework
A Competency Framework identifies the knowledge, skills and qualities needed within an organization, and it serves as the link between individual performance and business results.
Different from a job description, competencies describe the unique qualities that one needs to have to be highly successful in a position. Competencies identify the most important skills, knowledge, and abilities needed to show a clear picture of what success looks like for each role.
What is a Competency Model?
Competency models answer important workplace questions such as:
- What skills & knowledge do highly successful people in this position need to have?
- How can we select employees that have those skills?
- How can we train employees to have and improve those skills?
THERE ARE THREE TYPES OF COMPETENCIES - CORE, FUNCTIONAL, AND MANAGERIAL:
- Core competencies can be thought of as the “ticket to enter” skills for all jobs, which are often influenced by organizational values.
- Functional competencies are more likely to be technical skills that individual positions have such as customer service and relationship building.
- Managerial competencies are leadership competencies that manager positions and above have including building teams, managing change, and coaching others.
There are three levels for each type of competency:
- Demonstrates basic skills and understanding, yet needs support and access to resources.
- Demonstrates complete independence and can coach others; consistently achieves high performance.
- Can innovate and develop new approaches to get the work done; sets example of how to do great work for others to follow.
Our Approach to Competency Modeling
Our consultants will partner with your organization to help write competency maps for specific teams and levels of the company. We guide your team to define specific competencies and identify key aspects of each proficiency level including topics to further develop, as well as a section that focuses on what the competency is not.
When you partner with Stewart Leadership to create competency models for your organization, we’ll start with a three-step process. Once this initial process is complete, our consultants will leave your organization with implementation suggestions to ensure the competencies we’ve identified and developed continue to be followed and fulfilled in all aspects of the employee lifecycle.
We will analyze existing job descriptions, performance goals, and values, as well as company and strategy information.
We will interview managers to assess vision and to identify the most critical skills and behaviors. Our consultants visit the work environment to get a sense of how the organization operates.
We interview high-performing employees to identify the most critical skills and behaviors for their positions. We may also survey additional employees with the same titles to confirm these findings.
Ready to Learn More?
Partner with Stewart Leadership to create a unique competency modeling framework you can use to recruit and retain the right talent and that will best position your organization for continued growth, and ultimately, a competitive advantage.
Complete the form to request more information on our Competency Modeling Services.